Population: 5,495 (as of 2010)
Phelps County Courthouse, Historic Photo
The Holdrege community has a strong Swedish heritage. Holdrege was founded in 1883 and named for George W. Holdrege, the general superintendent of the B&MR Railroad. It was incorporated in 1884. The inspirational Promise of the Prairie statue by famed sculptor George Lundeen graces Holdrege's North Park. The Nebraska Prairie Museum features 65,000 feet of interior exhibits, as well as the WWII German POW Camp Interpretive Center, which commemorates the WWII POW Camp located just five miles south of Holdrege. For cultural events, The Tassel is one of the finest performing arts center in the region.